Drive Eastern Cuba - Self-Drive Tour
- 5 locations in 8 days: Gibara, Cayo Saetía, Baracoa, Santiago de Cuba, Holguín or Guardalavaca
- flexible program with many optional activities
- incl. 3 nights in hotels with a 2-3* standard
- incl. 4 nights in Casas Particulares
- incl. rental car in chosen category and information meeting in Havana
- for 2 people from $ 625 CAD p.p., for 4 people from $ 480 CAD p.p.
Discover the undiscovered: You want to experience "the other" Cuba? Than this 8-day trip might be perfect for you! With a rental car you drive through Cuba's East, which is less touristy and gives you an authentic Cuban experience. You'll get to know gorgeous coastal towns, and tropical mountain ranges. The rental car gives you a lot more flexibility to get to the most beautiful places. Take stops at pristine beaches or take a walk in hidden forests. More information you can find in our detailed itinerary.
Route of the self-drive tour "Drive Eastern Cuba"
You alreday start your rental car adventure on day 1 of your tour. There's much to see: the coastal town Gibara, wild animals on Cayo Saetía, Baracoa - the oldest town of Cuba - and the secret capital of Cuba: Santiago Cuba. You won't find much traffic on the roads, instead you will be impressed by the unique landscapes.
Below you’ll find the day-by-day breakdown for our Drive Eastern Cuba tour.
These highlights are waiting for you on this tour
Welcome to Cuba! Your rental car is already waiting for you at the airport. Your first location is the small coastal town Gibara. If you are not too tired from your journey, you can take a little walk at the habour and observe all the fisher boats. Try some delicious sea food in one of the restaurants.
Hotel in Gibara, 2-3* standard
Feel the authentic flair of Gibara while walking along the samll streets. Afterwards you continue your journey on rural streets until you reach the peninsula Cayo Saetía. The last part of the drive will be a little bumpy but you'll be rewarded with impressive landscapes.
Hotel at Cayo Saetía, 2-3* standard breakfast
You might get the impression to be in Africa because of the many wild animals living here. If you are lucky you can see antelopes, wild boars, zebras and ostriches.
Drive to one of the lonely bays and relax at the remote beaches.
Hotel at Cayo Saetía, 2-3* standard breakfast
Today you drive along a beautiful coastal road until you reach the oldest town of Cuba. We recommend to start early because the drive will take you about four hours. Enjoy a refreshment in the Caribbean Sea at the Playa Maguana.
Casa Particular breakfast
The Alejandro de Humboldt National Park is not far from Baracoa. Explore this park on one of the many hiking trails or take a relaxing boat tour. The "Balcon Iberia" walk is especially nice; it lasts for about three hours and provides opportunities for swimming. Weather permitting, it's also possible to climb the 600m El Yunque Mountain. You can also take a boat at the Boca de Yumuri.
On the curvy street "La Farola" and through the tropical rain forest of the "Sierra de Purial" your trip continues to the musical capital of the country - Santiago de Cuba. We recommend to visit the Casa de la Trova in the evening to expericen Cuban live music.
In the morning you can take a tour of this beautiful and historic city. Visit Fidel’s 1953 Moncada Barracks, the former Vista Alegre residential area, the infamous San Juan Hill, and Revolution Square. We also recommend visiting the Bay of Santiago. Here you'll find the famous fortress El Morro, built in 1633 to defend the city from pirates. This is one of the best surviving examples of Spanish-American military architecture and includes drawbridges, labyrinthine tunnels, cannons, and more!
Your self-drive tour ends with the drop off of your rental car in Holguin or in Guardalavaca. Relax in an all-inclusive hotel before you leave Cuba. Let us know on your inquiry, what you are planning after your tour. We will send you an individual offer.
- 3 nights in hotels with a 2-3* standard, incl breakfast
- 4 nights in Casas Particulares*
- Rental car in chose category
- International flight to/from Cuba
- Cuba Entry card (tourist visa): Available on request
- Tips & Gratuities
- Optional Excursions
- Travel insurance
- Optional Services
- *Casas Particulares are private houses of Cuban locals, who offer rooms to tourists. On request they are happy to cater you with a delicious breakfast (5-6 CUC) or even a lunch and dinner (10-12 CUC each). Let them know at your arrival
- Visa and vaccination requirements and general information about country and people of Cuba
- Rental Car Term & Conditions
- Rental Car Categories
- Information about your self-drive tour
- If you want to book a domestic flight within Cuba, we are happy to support you
Prices for the self-drive tour "Drive Eastern Cuba"
Please keep in mind: At the moment rental cars in Cuba are only available on a restricted basis. Nevertheless we are happy to send you an individual offer and request a rental car for you. The prices on this website can be different than the ones on your offer.
With click on "contact" you can send us a non-binding request
- in Cuba you need to pay an security guarantee, that you'll get back if you return the car without any damage
- for an extra charge you can upgrade you rental car to an automatic gearbox
- see Terms & Conditions